Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pancakes For A Sunday Morning

I am back from the Paleontology expedition and for my first weekend home I decided it was time for pancakes.  I jumped into the kitchen and whipped these up with coffee-cup in one hand and grapefruit juice in the other. 

Pancakes for a Sunday Morning
Mix the following in a big bowl
1 Cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Fill a measuring cup with..
1/4 Cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
3/4 Cup milk (I used 1%)
Let this sit while you....
Break 1 egg and whisk in a separate bowl
Add 2 Tbsp of Smart Beat Mayonaise to bowl.
Add milk vinegar mixture to bowl and whisk till smooth

Add liquids to dry ingredients and stir until mixed.  Lumpiness is okay.  It shouldn't be overmixed.  If you like it a little more thin then add some milk or vinegar.
Heat a large, flat pan to medium-high heat. Use some wax paper to spread a thin layer of oil on pan.
Pan is ready when you can flick water on it and there is a little sizzle but there should be no smoke coming off of the pan!
Use a ladle scoop out the amount of pancake goo you want and put it in the pan.  Don't even attempt to turn them over until bubbles form on top. Then test a little. They shouldn't be flipped until they easily release.  Turn them and wait until they are ready (peak at the bottoms if you want to be sure). 
This recipe makes 6 fluffy hotcakes or countless small ones.  I would double this recipe if my whole family wanted some but as it turns out, only Joe and I were takers.  Divine. 

Once again, my blog for today comes to an end.  There is so much on my mind to express however, and soon enough I will get to things like how to pick out running shoes and how to get off  your couch. 
Lastly, stay positive out there even though people are going to try to knock you down by insulting your looks, education, family background, job, political affiliations, religion or non-religion, the books you read or don't, the people you talk to or choose not to.  Choose to make some pancakes or go for a run or a walk and know that you have so much to give. 

No comments:

Post a Comment